Wednesday 22 June 2011

The Hosptial Group Reviews - A BIG Thank you!

My Successful Weight Loss Surgery Story!

My name is C.B.  I am 52 years old and have a medical condition of diabetes with high blood pressure and high cholesterol, my medication is made up of 70 tablets per week.  I have been to a number of slimming clubs and I have tried lots of diets, none of which worked, so all my life I have battled with my weight.  My family also have a history of diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity and I felt it was time for Change.

I did some research on the internet and came across a few sites advertising for gastric bands, I read some of the stories on the Hospital Group web site and became more interested.  After talking with my husband I felt I had tried everything else and this was my only option left for a better life, so I went ahead and booked an appointment in September 2010 at Dolan Park.

The Hospital Group sent me an information pack explaining everything about the procedure of the gastric band and a questionnaire to fill in and take with me to the Weight Loss Consultant.

On arriving at Dolan Park I was made so welcome, the staff were very polite (I remember thinking this does not look like a hospital, more like a top hotel).

When seeing the weight loss consultant he explained everything to me and asked many questions.  He also weighed me and I was 16 stone 10lb.  That was bad news, the good news was he could help me.  I then went to see the patient care co-ordinator.  I was very happy when leaving the hospital that day.

I went on holiday 2 weeks later and had a good time but when back home I realised I had put on 6 lb and only had 4 weeks before the operation and I needed to lose some weight before the op (this is to shrink the liver).  This upset me as I did not want to put my op on hold, so I rang Dolan Park and asked to speak to the dietician P.  She re-assured me and was so helpful.  P recommended to me a diet and a drink called Clinical, for rapid weight loss.  So I took P's advice and ordered some which arrived in 2 days and I started on the Monday.

Well I have to say the results were amazing.  I was losing on average 2-3lb a day by the time I went for my pre-op.  Everything was fine and I had my gastric band surgery 2days later.  After a few days I went back to work.

It was not long when I was sent an appointment with P who advised me on how you work with the gastric band and good foods / bad foods and how much you should eat.

P. also organised my gastric band fills and has been there for me every step of the way.  So I recommend face to face appointments with her, she is very kind and understanding.

So where am I today?

My doctor has reduced my tablets by 21 and is now weaning me off all diabetes tablets.  My blood pressure is normal and my cholesterol has been reduced, this gastric band along with the dietician has changed my life.  I am now fitter, less tired and have more energy and shopping for clothes is now fun.  So if you are anything like me I would recommend the Gastric Band as I have lost 5 stone and my husband has gained a new woman so a BIG thank you to all at Dolan park.  Keep up the good work.  C.B.